"Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure"
~Oprah Winfrey




Tuesday, October 16, 2012

New Mexico Adventures!!

Our place in New Mexico

 After an extremely long drive (11.5 hours to be exact) we arrived to our new permanent home!
 This is the road leading up the canyon to my house - you follow it for about 2 miles.

 My house is off to the left
 There it is!  (The tan one)
 The view from my porch - gorgeous right?
 The backyard - our neighbors is all fenced in - ours will be next summer
 Here's our sad backyard right now.
 We hope to build a deck and fence it in the beginning of next summer.
 The boys were good and spent a lot of time playing while I tried to get my house under control
 Ash played in his room
 Aid played on the car

 Red River Trout Hatchery

 Ry has an awesome job that's about 50 feet from our front door.  He is a Fish Culturist - which means he raises fish from eggs until they're about 10 inches to release in various bodies of water around the Northern part of New Mexico.
 The pictures of the fish are hard to see - but I just wanted to show how they start and where they end up.
 Baby fish - so cute right?? :)

 Here's where the eggs are

 So this is what I call the "Baby Fish Room" - I don't know what it's really called...

 Here are some of the bigger fish
 They move them into these covered raceways to continue to grow.  They have 3 series of these.  The small fish from the baby room go to this series, then when they're teenagers (again my terminology - I'm sure Ry will be shaking his head when he reads this) they move to another set of these, and then when they're getting ready to be freed into other waters - they're moved to the last series.


 Ash wants to be just like daddy!
 So does Aid.  He LOVES going to Daddy's work to see/feed the fish!
 Here are the morts (or dead fish)
 There's an electric fence around them to keep the bears out.


 The big fish
 The last series
 There's also a pond out front of his work next to the Visitors Center

 Some of these fish are HUGE!!
 See?!  Ry is loving his job and we love the area we're in!  We are so blessed!

Oh My Boys!

 Being a stay at home mom has been interesting!  The kids never cease to provide some sort of entertainment!



 FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!

 It doesn't seem possible that my baby is now in Kindergarten!  It seems like yesterday that I was bringing him home for the first time.
 What a handsome guy!!
 Aiden is going to an amazing Charter School in a little city called Lama (it's about 6-8 miles from our house - closest school by far) named Roots and Wings Community School.  They're an EL school and spend a lot of time outdoors.  It's the PERFECT school for Aiden!

Red River, NM

 We live about 15 minutes from the cute little town called Red River.  We LOVE it up there!  It's gorgeous!  It's a ski resort town - it kind of reminds me of Park City, UT.


 Our Elk (not too graphic...)

 We were able to split an Elk with one of Ry's coworker.

 Asher found it interesting!
 Aid would rather play with the big fish moving truck :)
It was so awesome to get this Elk!  We split it and my chest freezer is still FULL of Elk meat!  It's AWESOME!!!

Rio Grande Gorge

 There's a really cool area that you can view the Rio Grande about 15-20 minutes from our house.

 It's absolutely gorgeous - but it is REALLY high up

 This is looking over the fence straight down ...
 And this is the fence protecting you from falling to your death - it's a little scary when you have children :) but it was awesome to look at!!

The Pescado Trail

 Where we live has LOTS of hiking trails - this one is seriously about 100 feet from our front door.
 Here's a view of the hatchery - if you look closely you can see a small bridge - you cross that and we live across the street.

 Hiking the trail


 Can you spot the lizard??

 daddy and Ash waited for us - Ash didn't want to hike anymore :)

 RWCS Camp Out

 Part of Aid's schooling includes 2 camping trips.  Ry had to work during this one, so I went with both of the boys - at first I thought I was absolutely insane!  It ended up being really fun though!  Here Aid's teacher is reading them a book called "Who Pooped?" getting ready for our hike to scout out animal scat.
 Todd was amazing!  He's an outdoor specialist medical guy (there's an official name - when I remember it, I'll edit this!)  Here is our first hike down to the Red River - I didn't take very many pictures.

 Can you see the river?  Yeah I hiked that with a baby and water strapped to me!  Oh yeah!
 Here we started the hike down to the Rio Grande (the next day) - this hike was much more intense, much further down, and much more beautiful!

 Aiden and his sticks - I swear I could wrap up 10 sticks for Christmas and he'd be the happiest kid on earth!
 The Rio Grande (this is about half way down)

 At the bottom the land goes right into the river.  Pictures do not do it justice!
WE MADE IT!!!  Of course - now we have to hike UP this thing...
 Here's closer to the top - on one of my many stops :)
It was so much fun!  Ry's going on the one in May - which will be good.  It's 3 days and you have to hike up to your camping spot - I don't know if Ash could handle that!

(Click "Older Posts" ...there are 2 posts before this one catching things up!!)

No comments: