"Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure"
~Oprah Winfrey




Wednesday, April 13, 2011

OMG - I'm totally a hippie!

So, most people who know me consider me "hippie-ish" or at least "free spirited". I usually disagreed...until I received my package of cloth diapers. It was seriously better then Christmas!! Just for the record...I don't wear ankle length skirts, I shave my legs and armpits, and I take full advantage of all personal hygiene products! :) I got 3 different sets of diapers. These ones are the Bum Genius ones. They are so soft! They're pocket diapers. So, basically you stuff the inserts underneath a super soft layer that's sewn into the diaper. The only thing that I think will be inconvenient about these diapers is they're a one use diaper. The inserts are seriously awesome! They have snaps on them, so you fold it to size, and then snap it in place. Then just stuff it into the diaper. It's awesome!
How cute are these?! This is what they look like all small and put together!
See all the buttons? So skinny, chunky, whatever, it's adjustable! What's even better...
They're a one size! See the buttons going down the front? It's to make it bigger or smaller, depending on your cute little bundle of joy!
This is what the inside looks like. They're seriously soft! I want underwear made out of this material! :)
I got mostly button diapers, but I did get 3 Velcro ones, just to try out. I heard the Velcro wears out somewhat quickly (depending on how often you use/wash each one), but it's super easy to replace also. I have a feeling that I'll like the snaps better, just because.
another view of the Velcro. The inside looks exactly the same as the button ones.
I also got 2 sets of the Flip diaper system. It's a hybrid cloth diaper. I'm SUPER excited to try these ones out! They're the same as far as sizing. I only got these one's in snaps. These ones above are the Stay Dry system. I love how the inserts have a clear line to determine the size you need to use, depending on the size of your shell. You just place the insert underneath the flaps in the shell, and voila! The best part about these diapers? The shell can be used over and over (as long as nothing leaks out onto the actual fabric part). You just remove the insert to be washed, wipe out the shell, and put in a new insert!
See the inside? Awesome huh?!
I also got the organic Flip system. These ones are SO soft! They're the exact same idea as the Stay Dry system, but are natural and organic. I LOVE the inserts in this set. The look like a prefold diaper (you know, the old school ones that your grandma used?). They're super soft, and seem like they'll be super absorbent.
This is the inside of the organic ones.
My drawer full of shells, diapers and inserts! It makes me so happy!
Here's the sizing chart for the Flip system. The Bum Genius ones are pretty much the same though.
Oh! I almost forgot to mention one of the best parts about the Flip system! They make disposable inserts! How great is this for when you are out and about, or travelling? You don't have to worry about carting around smelly, wet inserts! Plus, the pricing for these is awesome! Cheaper then regular diapers at the store!

So, yes, you can make fun all you want, but I cannot wait to try these! If you want to know my reasoning behind trying cloth diapers, you can keep reading. When Aiden was born, I tried every single disposable diaper out there. Everything from the super expensive name brands, to the cheap of the cheap. Aiden got rashes SO bad that they would bleed...even when I changed his diaper every couple of hours. It made me so sad! His skin was so sensitive that even diaper rash cream would burn his skin. The only thing that ever worked to help alleviate his irritation was cheap Wal Mart brand diapers and Bag Balm. I wish I had been more educated in looking at other options (like cloth diapering) for him. This is the biggest reason I'm going to cloth diaper this next baby. Another reason is, Aiden always leaked through disposable diapers. There weren't option to "add" more "padding" to the front of disposable diapers...cloth diapers you totally can! So it'll be nice to adjust a diaper to fit my baby's needs. Another reason - MONEY!! We've spent well over a couple thousand dollars on diapers and pull ups alone! It's quite ridiculous when you think about it! Yes, the start up cost for cloth diapers isn't "cheap" but over the long run...totally worth it! We also got a couple of reusable training pants for Aiden (not meant for over night...just FYI) that were $14 a piece, but SO worth it when you consider that a package of cheap pull ups is well over that! Gotta do laundry anyway right? Aiden informed me that he liked his training pants, because they were "really soft"! How awesome is that?!


Anyway, there's my 2 cents! My hippie heart is really excited about these!

No comments: